Extended Claims Handler II
Location: Albany, NY
The General® Insurance, also known as Permanent General Companies, Inc., is a growing company and a leading non-standard automobile insurance provider. We are currently seeking qualified applicants for Extended Claims Handler II. We offer great training, a well defined career path and a fun and challenging work environment where the right candidate will learn and grow with the company. We pride ourselves on teamwork and quality customer service. If you do too, please check us out!
The General® offers a generous benefits package to its employees including medical, dental, vision and life insurance after one month of employment; health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, paid time off (vacation, sick, holidays), 401(k) participation with a matching contribution,
wellness initiatives and much more!
Reporting to a Claims Supervisor, the Extended Claims
Handler II will be primarily responsible for investigating and settling vehicle accident claims over the phone and through written correspondence. This level of claims adjuster will handle 1st
and 3rd party claims. Will be required to investigate and determine
coverage and liability and make the appropriate payments based on their decisions. This level of adjuster would primarily handle moderate to severe injury claims with both attorney represented and non-represented claims. This position may also be exposed to
claims in litigation as appropriate. Essential job responsibilities for this position will include:
- Evaluate and investigate policy coverage, liability and damages in a timely manner following a set of general claim and statutory guidelines.
- Assist internal and external customers with problems or questions regarding claims by phone or through written correspondence while providing a high level of customer service.
- Establish initial reserves for all potential exposures and adjust as appropriate throughout the claim.
- Investigate and evaluate claims using a lowest ultimate cost strategy.
- Establish and maintain appropriate diary of open claims following company guidelines.
- Conduct thorough investigations which can include obtaining necessary documents and forms from claimants and insureds; conduct recorded statements.
- Attend mediations and other settlement conferences as needed.
- Negotiate timely and appropriate settlements with claimants, insureds and attorneys; issue proper payments.
- Process correspondence related to assigned claims.
- Recognize recovery opportunities regarding subrogation and salvage.
- Evaluate and settle bodily injury claims within designated authority.
- Work with plaintiff and defense attorneys as appropriate.
- Prepare reports for management to correspond with guidelines regarding time demands and potential excess exposures.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelor’s
Degree in a business-related field or equivalent experience is preferred. INS or other insurance related courses preferred.
- One to three years casualty claims adjusting, including bodily injury experience is required.
- Proficient PC and Windows skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, time
management, negotiation, organization and investigative skills.
- Customer service orientation.
- The ability to perform basic math calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) as well as the calculation of averages and percentages.