Tool and Die Maker
Location: Rochester, NY
Pay: $25,000.00 - $30,000.00 /Year
Analyze specifications, Client out metal stock, set up and operate machine tools, and fit and assemble parts to make and repair dies, cutting tools, jigs, fixtures, gauges, and machinists' hand tools.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, or dial indicators.
- Study blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, or grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- Visualize and compute dimensions, sizes, shapes, and tolerances of assemblies, based on specifications.
- Inspect finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Conduct test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications, making adjustments as necessary.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Lift, position, and secure machined parts on surface plates or worktables, using hoists, vises, v-blocks, or angle plates.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products.
- Measure, mark, and scribe metal or plastic stock to Client out machining, using instruments such as protractors, micrometers, scribes, or rulers.
- Set up and operate drill presses to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly.
- Set pyrometer controls of heat-treating furnaces and feed or place parts, tools, or assemblies into furnaces to harden.
- Cut, shape, and trim blanks or blocks to specified lengths or shapes, using power saws, power shears, rules, and hand tools
- Maintain a clean and safe work area
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Nesco Resource is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics with respect to employment opportunities.
- Prior Tool and Die experience
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Ability to read basic measuring devices
- Must be a team player and able to work well with others.